Re: Big picture regarding web programming possibilities

On 03/23/2010 07:03 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
I now have some questions. Although I am a long-time web programmer,
I have not worked in enterprise - level projects, and I am
unfamiliar with java and tomcat. I hope that the questions I ask can
easily be answered and links to discussions would be sufficient.

If you haven't already, I recommend skimming these links:

http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/server/auto-servlet.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/server/Tomcat-setup.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/XML-tools.html (and sub-nodes)

These may need updating and details, but it should be start.

1)Reiterating that I know nothing about the tomcat server - is it
possible to use kawa script to
   a) access components of the tomcat server?
   or
   b) to modify the tomcat server, and then access said components?

This sounds awfully vague. You know nothing about Tomcat, and then you're asking about how you'd want to modify it?

2)Is it possible for me - using kawa - to build a custom server that
would serve up java that could be used by any programming language
to accomplish things?

Again, I don't know what you mean.

Here's an example from another nice
programming language: the developer of *newlisp* has put together a
.jar file that listens on a port, accepts commands that (if
recognized) serves up gui methods. So, newlisp, which has no gui
functions, leverages java.

Could you give me a link? I haven't found that on newlisp.org.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/gui/graphics.html

I started writing some adapters do you would use the same "gui
constructors" that could be implemented either using Swing or
using a web-browser, but I haven't had much time do much about
that for a while.