Re: SLIME backend

Helmut Eller wrote:

* Per Bothner [2008-05-27 21:45+0200] writes:

Note I'm talking about debugging Kawa itself, not Kawa applications.
The latter would of course be really great!  There is some support
for Eclipse using SchemeWay.

I'll take this opportunity to advertise my SLIME backend for Kawa a bit. Please skip the rest of this message if you don't use Emacs. ...

Cool.

Although I'm not an Emacsian (I've tried several times over the decades and just can't do it), I am interested in Emacs-related stuff like ELisp and SLIME.

For those who don't use Emacs, my IFCX Wings tool may be of interest. It is an OpenOffice extension that currently supports creating documents that embed any JSR-223 enabled language.

http://www.ifcx.org/

Adapting the SLIME backend to JSR-223 could be quite helpful. While most JSR-223 engines focus on compiling independent scripts, using it for stateful interpreter interaction can also be done (I recently whipped up one for Scala) and it actually better for incremental work such as in Emacs and Wings.

* the JVM ain't a Lisp Machine (and never will be)

Well, I know what you're saying, but maybe it will.

Not only is there active work for invokedynamic and (somewhat less actively) continuations, but there is a spiffy new JVM agent that supports (very nearly) complete dynamism for class definitions including updating the behavior of existing instances.

http://www.zeroturnaround.com/javarebel/

Jim