Getting rid of the "edit-compile-run-cycle" for Kawa

Hi -

We really want to improve our dev environment for our Kawa web app.
The main problem is the "edit-compile-run-cycle".  Even though Kawa is
a great language, this style of development makes it feel like we are
just using Java.  It slows us down.  What I want is to change some
function defined in a static module and simply refresh any page in our
app that uses that function and see the result of the change.

In trying to achieve this I've made a simple macro "require/smart"
that will expand to (require <foo>) if the system is in production
mode, and expand to (load "\some-path\foo.scm") if in development
mode.  Of course, our existing code behaves somewhat differently when
loaded instead of required.  I've been working through this but I'm
not sure what the ultimate result will be.  I might be overlooking
some fatal flaw in this plan.  This technique does work fine in a very
simple proof of concept with a very simple tree of dependencies made
up of three simple files of definitions.

In an old post to this list (found here: