query type of an instance

Hi Kawa users!

I wish to begin by saying I am really starting to love
Kawa!  Having all of the Java libraries available in
Scheme and being able to subclass is a powerful and
wonderful combination.  Add in the nifty SchemeScript
plugin in Eclipse and the development environment is
really great.

Now my newest newbie question... I hope I am not
missing something obvious.  How do you query the type
of an object?  I know about instance?, but if I knew
enough about an object's type to use instance? I would
have half my answer :).   For example,  if I have an
instance of sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcResultSet, what
function can I call with that instance which returns
the class sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcResultSet?

Finally, what all this is really leading up to is a
bigger Kawa and Scheme macro question.  I'd like to
have a macro (maybe a function would do as well)which
I will call "with-result-set" (perhaps
"collect-result-set" would be better).  You would give
it a result set instance (say a
sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcResult) and a variable number of
pairs consisting of a type and a field name.  So an
invocation might look like (with-result-set my-rs
'(String "Field1") '(Float "Field2") ...).  It would
return a list of lists of all those fields in the
result set: (("abc" 42) ("def" 56.2) ...).

I'm really green on syntax-case etc.  I think it
should be possible to do this, and perhaps using a
macro if the types are known at compile time.  Any
thoughts?

Is there a function analogous to macro-expand in Kawa?

Thanks,

John Whittaker