Re: Using Emacs with Kawa

Tony anon wrote:
From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
To: Tony anon <tonys-mailbox@hotmail.com>
CC: ctdean@sokitomi.com, kawa@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Using Emacs with Kawa
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:03:48 -0700

Tony anon wrote:
Thanks for the info Chris.

I'm afraid that kawa is ignoring the change to the prompt in kawarc.scm.

I can confirm that the initialisation file is being read, as I tried deliberately corrupting it and received an error from Kawa on startup.

However, when I change the prompt string in the initialisation file, there is no apparent change to the prompt in the kawa repl.

It looks like the set-input-port-prompter! changes the prompt for teh value (current-input-port) *at the time* while we're reading the ~/.kawarc file. I.e. you're changing the prompter for the port that is reading ~/.kawarc.

I'm not sure why that's not happening for Chris.

One option is to add a (interactive-input-port) or (standard-input-port)
function.

Sorry to keep troubling everyone like this, but could someone give me an example of how to "add a (interactive-input-port) or (standard-input-port) function."

Sorry - I meant to suggest that maybe we (i.e. I) should add a function with that name to Kawa so you can reference the default/initial input port, as opposed to the current input port.

(Does anyone know if some other Scheme implementation has such a
function, and if so what is it called?)

As a work-around, you can change the implementation of default-prompter
in kawa/lib/ports.scm and re-compiled Kawa.

Alternatively, perhaps reading/loading a file should not re-bind
current-input-port to that file.

I'm curious why it works for Chris but not you.  Perhaps something
in Kawa changed, and you're using different versions.

Of course the right fix isn't to change Kawa's prompt, but to change
Emacs so it isn't confused by #|...|#-style comments.  I really would
expect Emacs to be able to handle such comments; perhaps there
is some configuration option that needs to be tweaked.