Re: extended "colon notation" [feedback needed]

Fernando.Matomira@thomson.com wrote:
Does this cause any problems to people using symbols with colons
in them for compatibility with Common Lisp?
For example, CL:IF macro.

I don't think so. In fact, Kawa already implements Common Lisp-style "two-level" symbols: The Symbol class points to a Namespace (which is more-or-less a Common Lisp package) plus a "local name". The Symbol class isn't normally used for Scheme symbols, but there is a good chance that will change.

One difference is that Kawa supports an extra level of indirection between "prefixes" and namespaces, and the prefixes may be lexically scoped. This is needed/derirable for XML processing, and the XQuery language. I.e. "package nicknames" may be local rather than global.

The goal is to support the full Common Lisp semantics for symbols and packages, though it's not a very high priority.
per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/