Kawa awt puzzle

The command-line -w option creates a Scheme window.
This works with gij, and with jdk 1.5.  Using jdk 1.4.2_02
I get a blank window on my laptop running Fedora Core 3.
(Older versions of Kawa also fail to work.)
On my server, also running Fedora Core 3, it works - even
when remotely displaying on my laptop.

While this is hardly a critical problem, I'd like to understand it.
I have the feeling I've seen and resolved this problem before,
but if so I don't remember it.  Any ideas?

(Another problem is that "Scheme interaction" in JEmacs doesn't
work, but that seems unrelated.)