Re: Gargage collected top-level bindings?

Steve Yegge wrote:
But my initial, hasty impression is
that name resolution in Kawa should eventually include:

  - searching the current lexical environment
  - searching the Java instance chain from "this" object through supers
  - searching the Java static class chain from this class to Object.class
  - searching the current dynamic environment
  - (possibly) searching some overall global environment

Searching the lexical environment is done at compile-time, and if we've found a match at compile-time, we use that match at run-time. But there is still the issue of how a lexical definitions maps to a run-time location. One complication is that the code containing a declaration may be executed multiple times, so how does a reference get tied to the correct location. Another location is threading, if we allow per-thread bindings: how do we tie a reference in one thread to a definition that may be in a different thread? Which threads will "see" which definitions?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, please let me know.

You're not so much barking up the wrong tree, as being awfully vague, and I think unclear on compile-time lookup vs run-time lookup. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/