Re: (eq? sym1 sym2) implementation

Jim White wrote:
I think it poor style to depend on this aspect of Kawa's implementation
(that symbols are j.l.String) and beware that it may break in the
future.

People do seem to be in favor of changing the implementation of Scheme symbols to use gnu.mapping.Symbol. When I get the time I plan to try this change and see how it works. To avoid breaking too many programs, we'd probably make it so String and Symbol can be automatically be convetered to each other. That pre-supposes a change to the Kawa type system to support language-specific type coercions - which we'll also use for number, e.g. coercing Integer to Scheme <integer>. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/