RE: http://theschemeway.blogspot.com/

Greg,

> Uhm, huh? If anything it's *too* easy to add functionality. I
> mean we're talking about the canonical example of bloatware
> here, if one that I couldn't possibly live without.

I agree, but only partly. Yes, Emacs sometimes looks like a big pile of
hacks. But the dynamicity of its environment is surely worth it. When you
have a bug, modify the function and reload it. You (almost always) don't
have  to shutdown the environment and restart it from scratch. In
comparison, restarting Eclipse on my laptop (2.4GHz Celeron with 384Mb of
RAM) takes me about 20-30 seconds. That does not seem a big deal, but when
you simple want to modify a configuration file to test something, it's
pretty annoying.

> > For example, it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to
> add default
> > key bindings to my Scheme editor...!
>
> That's hardly a convincing sales pitch. 3 hours to figure out
> how to do the most basic of customizations? Shouldn't that
> have taken about 2 minutes to find?

Maybe I exaggerated a bit. But adding key bindings is not the most basic
customization (you need actions, key binding scopes, active configurations,
commands, categories, and finally key bindings). It is not even covered
properly in the platform plugin documentation. And the documentation is so
thin that it's not always easy to figure out what is missing in the
configuration file (maybe I didn't look at the right place?).  Once you know
how to do it, it seems so simple, But to get there...

Dominique