Problems with unescaped-data

Hi,

I am having some problems with Kawa automatically translating characters
in a servlet.

Here is the context. I have a (pure, not KRL nor Qexo) Kawa servlet
generating HTML and VoiceXML pages programmatically. It builds the pages
using make-element and make-attribute. In the generated pages, there are
some UTF-8 characters (namely diacritics since the pages contain some
French text). Unfortunately, all the characters are translated to the
corresponding numerical entity ("é" is translated "#&65533;", for
instance). The servlet does so even if I put the text in unescaped-data.
Writing the equivalent entity (like "é") does not work, since the
ampersand is itself escaped to "&".

Is their a way to get rid of that behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Dominique Boucher

P.S. I noticed that unescaped-data works when the result is written to
the HttpPrinter directly, but not when the unescaped-data is itself
contained in another element.