Using CVS via HTTP proxy

The good news is that there *is* a patch for using CVS with a http proxy server.

The bad news is that the CVS folks don't believe the code should be included in GNU CVS:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-cvs/2001-07/msg00066.html

But there is good news for Mac OS X users. Fink has a package for installing CVS *with* the http proxy patch.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/cvs-proxy

Just:

fink install cvs-proxy
export CVS_PROXY=http://web-proxy.the-denier-of-services.com:8080
cvs as usual

Yay!

For non-Mac OS X folks, these links may (or may not) be helpful:

http://www.sra.co.jp/people/m-kasahr/cvsproxy/

http://www.cvshome.org/cyclic/cvs/dev-win-ttaylor.txt
http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-nt/199901/msg00006.html

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/fink/dists/10.2/stable/main/finkinfo/devel/cvs-proxy-1.11.5-1.patch?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Jim
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams