Internal error while compiling a module-static file

(I sent this to both the BRL and Kawa lists since it occurs when using
BRL.)

When I compile the file below I get this error:

    (compiling Foo.scm)
    Internal error while compiling Foo.scm
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at gnu.expr.LambdaExp.allocChildClasses(LambdaExp.java:918)
            at gnu.expr.Compilation.addClass(Compilation.java:1454)
            at gnu.expr.Compilation.compile(Compilation.java:790)
            at gnu.expr.Compilation.compileToFiles(Compilation.java:837)
            at kawa.lang.CompileFile.compile_to_files(CompileFile.java:92)
            at kawa.repl.processArgs(repl.java:390)
            at kawa.repl.main(repl.java:594)

I tried a little debugging myself, with limited success.  Changing to
(module-static #f) doesn't exercise the error.  Any ideas?

Here's the file:

    (module-static #t)
    (require <gnu.brl.pregexp>)
    (define (f pat str)