Re: Question on compiling to bytecode

Erol Akarsu <eakarsu@cmguc.com> writes:

> I was exploring the best language/environment to implement very huge
> software, ebusines-oriented one. I have concluded that Scheme is the
> best

If handlying a dynamic environment is one of the strengths that made you
pick Scheme, keep in mind that your end system may end up adding code on
the fly, i.e. doing compilation at run time.  In that case, speed of
compilation will matter too.  I would expect compilation to be
significantly slower if you created intermediate Java code instead of
compiling directly to bytecode.

Fast compilation has been nice for BRL.  I haven't had to generate
.class files and worry about complex dependencies.  Restarting the
servlet engine and letting each page be compiled in memory on the first
page hit has sufficed.

--
<brlewis@[(if (brl-related? message)    ; Bruce R. Lewis
              "users.sourceforge.net"   ; http://brl.codesimply.net/