Diagnosing macros; testing for <type>

Does Kawa provide a way to see the results of a macro expansion? I'm
getting unexpected results from the expansion of one of my
define-syntax's, and want to find out what Kawa thinks it's expanding to.

Also, in a macro (or indeed anywhere else), is there a built-in to test
whether a symbol is a type specifier such as <int> or <java.util.Vector>?
Or do I just have to look to see whether it begins with "<" and ends with
">"?

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.ifs.org.uk/~popx/
+44 (0)7768 534 091