Re: make errors with current cvs

I am including three separate issues here, so I'll divide them up.

03/16/2002 18:43, Per Bothner per@bothner.com:

> I've removed it [MapDescendants.java] now from the Makefile.am and
> Makefile.in.

Are you sure the new makefiles were checked in. I still get this error at
make unless I specify --disable-xml at configure.

Making all in xquery
Making all in util
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `MapDescendants.java', needed by
`java-classes.stamp'.  Stop.

============================
Before discussing the results using the patchfile you sent, I noticed a
problem with the latest cvs builds that I thought was OSX specific but after
seeing it on a SuSE 7.3 x86 box running Sun's JDK I know it isn't. When kawa
is run with the -w option at startup, there's a problem entering text in the
interpreter. Essentially the interpreter will accept up to one statement and
then locks and refuses input. Since I am not sure where Linux logged the
problem, I'll use the stderr from OSX.

[localhost:~/builds/kawa] rds% Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid insert
 at javax.swing.JTextArea.insert(JTextArea.java:430)
 at
com.apple.mrj.internal.awt.publicpeers.LWTextAreaPeer.insertText(LWTextAreaP
eer.java:571)
 at java.awt.TextArea.insertText(TextArea.java:256)
 at java.awt.TextArea.insert(TextArea.java:246)
 at kawa.MessageArea.write(MessageArea.java:104)
 at kawa.TextAreaWriter.write(TextAreaWriter.java:29)
 at kawa.MessageArea.enter(MessageArea.java:79)
 at kawa.MessageArea.keyPressed(MessageArea.java:93)
 at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Component.java:3678)
 at java.awt.TextComponent.processEvent(TextComponent.java:565)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:2594)
 at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.ja
va:131)
 at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java
:98)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:85)

============================
The patch to catch the runtime error at startup shows more information than
we saw before. I hope this will help in tracking down what's wrong.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/List
 at
 at kawa.standard.Scheme.initScheme(Scheme.java:107)
 at kawa.standard.Scheme.getNewEnvironment(Scheme.java:707)
 at kawa.standard.Scheme.<init>(Scheme.java:674)
 at kawa.standard.Scheme.getInstance(Scheme.java:85)
 at gnu.expr.Interpreter.getInstance(Interpreter.java:148)
 at gnu.expr.Interpreter.getInstance(Compiled Code)
 at kawa.repl.getInterpreter(repl.java:153)
 at kawa.repl.processArgs(Compiled Code)
 at kawa.repl.main(repl.java:545)
 at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMStaticMethodDispatcher.run(JMAWTContextImpl.java)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
Exception Occurred:
getInstance for 'kawa.standard.Scheme' failed
 at gnu.expr.Interpreter.getInstance(Interpreter.java:159)
 at gnu.expr.Interpreter.getInstance(Compiled Code)
 at kawa.repl.getInterpreter(repl.java:153)
 at kawa.repl.processArgs(Compiled Code)
 at kawa.repl.main(repl.java:545)
 at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMStaticMethodDispatcher.run(JMAWTContextImpl.java)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

((lambda (args) (display args)) "
    Robert D. Skeels
     athene@earthlink.net")