previous environments

Hi,

I've noticed that in the gnu.mapping.Environment class
the variable "previous" referring to the upper level Environment
is declared as private.
I'm interested, given an environment, to obtain his previous one;
in the global environment this is not very significative since the
previous environment of the new environment created is the global
environment itself, but if you manage with tree of environments
with many levels it becomes interesting to access directly to the
upper level environments in the tree.
I've noticed that it exist only the "getCurrent" method that returns the
global environment.
So, I'd like to ask if it is possible to introduce in the Environment
class a new method "getPrevious" that returns the "previous" variable
of the instantiated environment.
Thank you in advance.

Daniele Maraschi
PhD Student