Re: IDE?

Jim White wrote:

> The approach would be to develop a light glue layer to map the necessary
> API so that both Swing and IFC are supported.  Adding SWT to that would
> be no problem.  An AWT option might also be worthwhile for some
> applications.

That would certainly be nice.

Providing Kawa and JEmacs hooks for Eclipse might be helpful politically
for both projects.  I.e. some potential Eclipse users might be very
happy to have a real integrated Emacs engine.

But it certainly doesn't look like I will have much time on such
projects, though I should be able to help out.  So I encourage
people to go for it!

> The idea that any free Java will have Swing is very unlikely.  Due to
> Sun's licensing, the massive size of Swing, the impracticality of
> implementing from the API or spec, and Swing's terribly bad performance
> (which is limited by its design and will not be getting any faster) make
> it not worthwhile.

I think the only way we will have a Free Swing is if Sun frees it.