Re: brackets

Chris <chris@bitmead.com> writes:

> I can't see the argument that opt 1 is anything but really simple
> and easy to understand.
>
> Whether it is convenient in terms of  compatibility is another question.
> But IMHO, the nice thing about Scheme is that only '(' and ')' and
> I guess quotes are special. Everything else is available for tokens.

Per's description of the status quo (option 1) was not quite complete.
The status quo is that square brackets have been advertised (in the
NEWS) file, as being synonymous with parens, but they aren't quite
synonymous.  That's what makes the status quo nearly as complex as
option 3.

I think the simplicity you describe would require removing the partial
support for square brackets as parens.

--
Bruce R. Lewis  <brlewis@[(if (brl-related? message)
                              "users.sourceforge.net"