Suggestions for handling XML from Kawa?

To take my last message (about TreeList) further, has anyone any
suggestions on the best way of processing parsed XML from Kawa? The task I
was thinking of then was some fairly simple tree-transformations, where I
wanted to read an XML file, replace some elements by other elements, and
then print it. That's doable quite simply from Java with the modules
provided, I think, without needing to go into Kawa.

However, I've now got another task, where I need to read and parse XML and
then compile it into code that implements the formatting described by the
XML. This is heavy-duty stuff, involving a lot of tree-walking, checking
nodes for type-compatibility with one another, checking that certain nodes
are present and present once only, solving for constraints on 2-d
positioning, etc. I much prefer doing such work in a functional style from
Kawa, rather than in Java, so once again, am interested in Kawa interfaces
to the trees generated by the XML parser. I like Per's XPath/XQuery
implementation, but I'm not sure it is (or will be when complete) suitable
for this particular job.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.ifs.org.uk/~popx/
+44 (0)7768 534 091