java.in files

I've just downloaded the latest Kawa and tried installing. This was under
Windows, so I was using makekawa.bat. Compilation failed because (amongst
other things) it couldn't find gnu.lists.SimpleVector. There isn't a
SimpleVector.java there, but there is a SimpleVector.java.in, which looks
like the input for some kind of preprocessor, and contains a conditional
which tests whether we're using Java collections or not.

What is the preprocessor? And is there a configuration stage that I must
go through before using makekawa to tell it whether I'm using collections?

I tried looking at the mailing-list archives, but in their new (?) home at
redhat, all I get is connection timeouts.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.ifs.org.uk/~popx/
+44 (0)7768 534 091