Re: kawa 1.6.92 released

Jim White <jim@pagesmiths.com> writes:

> Yeah, I noticed that looking through the makefiles.  Ant does have a
> token filtering option in the 'copy' task.  The only thing I'm not
> sure of is whether it allows spaces in the token names.  I'll find out
> soon (if it doesn't that would just mean changing '@if CHAR foo@' to
> '@if_CHAR_foo@')

It's not that easy. '@if CHAR is bytefoo@ does not do token substitution;
if does a cpp-style conditional, similar to #if CHAR_is_byte.  Thus
all the lines from the @if to the next @endif may need to be removed.

A possibly solution is to substitute a comment:
        @if_CHAR_is_byte@
        code
        @endif_CHAR_is_byte@
can be converted to
        /* Only if char is byte:
        code
        */
This is a little ugly, but not too bad.  It does prohibit /*-style
comments within the commented-out code, which could be a problem
in the case of javadoc comments.

Another soluton line prefixes:
        @if_CHAR_is_byte@ code_line_1;
        @if_CHAR_is_byte@ code_line_2;
which can be replaced by:
        // code_line_1;
        // code_line_2;
but I'd rather not do that, as it will really confuse Emacs, making it
more difficult to edit the xxx.java.in files.

> Note also that Ant has scripting capability (I use Rhino for
> JavaScript right now which can use any Java class directly) and of
> course Ant can call any system command desired, so there is no
> practical limitation on what it can do.

But can we assume that a random Windows-9x box will have the necessary
system commands?  We can presumably run different system commands on
Unix, Ms-Windows, and Mac, but this is certainly to be avoided!

> The only issue is how much of that rather complex logic in the
> pre-built scripts for Autoconf and Configure is actually needed by
> Kawa.

Well, at lot of it deals with hndling different options for building Kawa,
some of whihc depend on the Java implementation used.