[KAWA] -> Java

I see that the default way that Kawa translates a module field into Java
is this...

 public final Binding foo =
Environment.getCurrent().getBinding("ticker");

There must be some reason why it does this as opposed to simply

public Object foo ....

but I can't see what it is. In fact it seems to make it impossible to do
the simpler..
(set! (field o 'foo) "foo")

because you get...

Invalid parameter, was: don't know how to coerce gnu.kawa.util.FString
to gnu.mapping.Binding
java.lang.ClassCastException: don't know how to coerce
gnu.kawa.util.FString to gnu.mapping.Binding

So there must be something good it buys you that I don't see.

Also, why does it make it "final"?