Re: Newbie question

"s.blomberg" <nhi965@abdn.ac.uk> writes:

> OK, from the manual, I could write some simple scheme code such as:
>
> (module-export Adder)
> (define (Adder x) x)
> (define (add5 x) (+ 5 x))
>
> then save the code in Adder.scm and compile it to a java class using the
> -C directive. I get three class files,

I only get a single class file - Adder.class.  Perhaps because you are using
an older version - but then I wouldn't expect module-export to work.  (Perhaps
it doesn't - the compiler may treat it as a function call, in which case
you will get an error at run-time that it can't find the function
"module-export" - once you get past the ClassNotFound error!)

> > I suggest reading the Kawa manual, and using the current version 1.6.70.
>
> With respect, the manual is heavy going for a beginner. A short tutorial
> would be nice!

You are not the only one who has requested a tutorial!   Somebody
volunteered to write something, but I don't know if anyone has.

> I'm using version 1.6.59, which is the latest version on
> the "Kawa for Macintosh" web page. Will support for kawa on macs improve?

I don't know - I don't have a Mac.  (You can see if a later version will
work using the "Kawa for Macintosh" instructions.)