Re: build problem

The problem seems to be that you can't run 'make kawa.jar' if
the make directory is the same one that contins the kawa sources.
I.e. if you originally did "./configure" .

I don't think this can be fixed, without changing how kawa.jar is
built.  Making kawa.jar does a configure and a make in a temporary
directory.  The reason is so the configure flags used when building
te jar files doen't accidentally depend on those uses when configuring
the main directory.

What I usually do is make in a *different* directory than that
containing the sources.  For example:

cd /work/kawa
# You can have one build directory for each architecture.
mkdir src linux
cd src
tar xzvf ..../kawa.tar.gz
cd ../linux
/work/kawa/src/configure --prefix `/bin/pwd`
make
# installs in /work/kawa/linux/share/java etc.
make install

That keeps the sources and binaries separate, which is convenient,
especially for code you're actually working on.  (Especially if
using cvs, it makes sense to build in a different directory than
the cvs check-out directory.)  And that would allow "make kawa.jar".