cannot 'require' in embedded code

When I try to eval a form like

(require <something>)

with an interpreter created inside a java program, I get this exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: internal error - SetExp.eval
with lexical binding
 at gnu.expr.SetExp.eval(SetExp.java, Compiled Code)
 at gnu.expr.BeginExp.eval(BeginExp.java, Compiled Code)
 at gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule(ModuleExp.java, Compiled Code)
 at kawa.lang.Eval.evalBody(Eval.java, Compiled Code)
 at kawa.standard.Scheme.eval(Scheme.java, Compiled Code)
 at kawa.standard.Scheme.eval(Scheme.java, Compiled Code)
 at test1.eval(test1.java, Compiled Code)
 at test1.main(test1.java, Compiled Code)

I tried to use load-compiled but the module bindings were not loaded; I
tried also to use Require.find but my understanding of the module
Does someone knows a correct sequence to load modules in embedded
interpreters?
Thanks in advance
Marco Vezzoli