How does Kawa's define_proc() call work?

I understand that define_proc maps a scheme name to a class
implementation via a classname.

But can someone explain to me how it works for the .scm files?

eg: in the Scheme initScheme() environment setup there are lots of
define_proc calls like this one:

  define_proc("file_exists?" "kawa.lib.files");

Since kawa.lib.files is a scm file and not a class I can't work out
what this is doing.

As far as I can see it should be handled by class AutoloadProcedure
but that doesn't seem to be handling .scm files either.

Can someone please explain?

Sorry for the lame question.

Nic Ferrier