RE: Building Insight

I'll try getting the source from cvs and see if that works. It might be worth putting a mention on the download page that this is recommended, since the current text at http://www.sourceware.org/insight/downloads.php seems to slightly discourage getting the development version.

Thanks for the reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Seitz [mailto:keiths@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:17 PM
To: Bruce Dawson
Cc: insight@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Building Insight

On 02/07/2013 12:06 PM, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> Does insight currently build and work? It appears that it hasn't been
> updated since July 19, 2009
> (http://www.sourceware.org/insight/news.php) so I'm naturally curious
> as to whether this project is dead or not.

Insight does build on linux. I build CVS HEAD on Fedora almost daily, and I test Ubuntu about quarterly. It is entirely my fault that the project has been largely in maintenance mode for many years. There just aren't a whole lot of contributors anymore.

First things first -- get rid of 6.8. I simply haven't made an official release in quite some time. I see that despite my intentions, another GDB release occurs where I haven't made a corresponding insight release.

To further complicate matters, I have been sitting on x86_64 and mingw build fixes for a long time...

Here's what I would do. If you don't mind using a development version of GDB (which is what I have been using daily for many years), grab the latest sources of the insight CVS module from anonymous CVS.

If you would prefer using a standard release of GDB, grab those sources and then add in the missing insight bits from CVS.

If worse comes to worse, ping me privately, and I'll attempt to through you together an unofficial source tarball that I have built on Ubuntu myself. [This might be easier/less frustrating, considering I have all the necessary bits for x86_64 lying in my source tree.]

I will redouble my efforts to get all my cord-hoarding checked into sourceware.org and make an official release after the 7.6 is underway.
That should be branching within the next week or two.