Building Insight

I'm trying to build Insight so as to have a graphical front-end for GDB on Ubuntu 12.04, gcc 4.6.3. I downloaded the 6.8-1a source (6.8a failed with a texinfo problem) and after adding --disable-werror to the configure command line made some progress on building. That is, I ran these commands:

$ mkdir insight; cd insight
$ ../src/configure --disable-werror
$ make

However I then hit this error:

checking for library containing gethostbyname... none required
checking for library containing socketpair... none required
checking for library containing waddstr... no
checking for library containing dlgetmodinfo... no
checking for library containing tgetent... no
configure: error: no termcap library found
make[1]: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bruced/source/insight/insight-6.8-1a/insight'
make: *** [all] Error 2

All of the directions I have found for how to build or install termcap are sufficiently dated that I don't trust them. Is there any advice on how to resolve this problem?

Does insight currently build and work? It appears that it hasn't been updated since July 19, 2009 (http://www.sourceware.org/insight/news.php) so I'm naturally curious as to whether this project is dead or not.

I definitely find that I am more productive when I can have source/disassembly/call-stack/registers/memory windows open simultaneously and I'm hoping that Insight is the solution for this desire. If there are other options that are being more actively maintained then please let me know.