Re: Two small insight (gdb?) bugs

Keith Seitz wrote, On 07/24/2011 02:45 PM:
On 07/12/2011 09:32 PM, Gene Smith wrote:
1. In console I can set a breakpoint like this:

b main

But if I make a typo and enter an invalid symbol such as:

b mai

It hangs insight and I have to kill -9 it.

I am using CVS HEAD, and I cannot reproduce this problem. It brings up a dialog asking, "Make pending breakpoint based on future shared library load?"

What happens if you use insight in non-windowing mode ("-nw" flag) and
make the typo? Does it still lock-up?

No lock-up with -nw. I see the message you describe like this:

(gdb) b iain
Function "iain" not defined.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) n
(gdb)

2. If I have a watch point window active with watches present and I
reload or reset my program, I get an error dialog when trying to
re-establish the watchpoints since they are lost after a reset or reload
(watch window comes up blank). The only way to re-define the watches is
to restart insight but at least it is not locked up like in 1. above.
Workaround: Try to remember to close watch window before reloading or
resetting.

I don't know if your procedure is the same as mine, but I am experiencing crash when re-running after the executable is recompiled, e.g., "insight foo", run, set watches, touch some sourcefile and recompile foo, "run" in the console.

This is happening because the varobjs are left in an unknown state, with
stale pointers to memory. I will work on a fix for this, but this
doesn't sound like your problem...

What does the error dialog say?

I seem to mainly see the dialog after reloading my program to flash with watches present (none called var6). When finished reloading the watch window comes back empty and then when I try to add the watches back it says:

Title: Application Error
Large red "X": Error: invalid command name "var6"
Buttons: OK	Skip Messages	Details>>

Clicking on "Details>>" I see this:
invalid command name "var6"
invalid command name "var6"
while executing
"$var delete"
while deleting object "::.watchwin0.watchwin" in ::WatchWin::destructor (body line 11)
invoked from within
"itcl::delete object ::.watchwin0.watchwin"
(command bound to event)

Any attempt to add watches results in this same dialog. Also, I may have seen it crash if I continue on for a while but usually I just restart since I probably need the watches back. Haven't tried your patch yet.
Also, it might be considered a bug in that the watchpoints are not remembered between insight restarts or after a reload of flash, at least for me. (At least BPs are remembered which is handy.)