Re: Extending Insight

Brandon Diamond wrote:
 - With a strong background in C and a virtually non-existent background in Tcl,
    - Would it be possible to implement additional windows containing
varied UI components within a reasonable amount of time?

Definitely. Tcl/iTcl/iTk are simple languages. Just choose one of the newer windows and use it as a template.

- Could it be done in 1-3 weeks?

I should think so.

    - Would a working knowledge of TCL suffice, or would I have to go
pro? (if I could get by with minimal knowledge, is there a quick-start
tutorial that you'd recommend?)

You don't need to be a pro at Tcl, not even the slightest. Tcl was meant to be easy to work with, and it is. The real problem you are going to run into is that insight is a bit of a mess. [Of course, if there are any questions about how to accomplish something, you are always welcome to send email to this list.]

    - Is the Insight source & design amenable to these modification--
or would this be a huge undertaking? (i.e., I'd have to read all of
the code to even get started and break a bunch of abstractions in so
doing)

While I think the internals are a bit of a mess, I do not think it would be difficult to do. We already have a basic plug-in architecture (see src/gdb/gdbtk/plugins/HOW-TO. If there are any problems (or bit rot), I can be found here.

Finally, if Insight is the wrong place for me to start, does anyone
know of a similar project that I might have a better chance of
extending?

There are several gdb UI's around, the problem we found with most of them is that none of them (other than Inisght) run in the same process as gdb. As a result, they can be very limiting if gdb hasn't implemented some MI feature or you want access to more of gdb's internals.

Each of these other alternatives are also written in lower-level languages like C. We specifically chose Tcl to allow us to rapidly write UI code -- no need to recompile. Just reload the edited class/file into the already running interpreter and go. It's an amazingly efficient paradigm. It also allowed us to target Windows in the days before python, gtk, qt, etc.

DDD is, I think, one of the most popular of the gdb GUIs. You might want to check it out, too.