Re: Insight not configured correctly?

Petrangelo, Jeanne wrote:
My goal is to create a personal instance of insight in my home directory
which will not interfere with gdb used by others on the system.

I configured the installation with: configure --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=$HOME/bin \
--exec-prefix=$HOME/bin/ppc-insight

Okay, yeah, that looks a little confusing. Generally, the install layout for the vast majority of GNU software is:

$PREFIX/
   $EXEC-PREFIX/bin
   $EXEC-PREFIX/lib
   $EXEC-PREFIX/libexec
   share
   doc

And so on. The purpose for EXEC-PREFIX ("--exec-prefix") is to facilitate sharing of files across multiple architectures (the "share" and "doc" directories). At Red Hat, we always use "H-[host-triple]" (i.e., H-i686-linux-gnu) as the exec-prefix. However, when I'm not doing anything official, I just specify --prefix, since I only have one architecture I'm building for. So, the first thing to try is to omit the --exec-prefix flag, since it is probably not needed. You probably also don't want to include "bin" as your install directory. I think that might screw up the way we search for the tcl libraries.

Here's what I use:

$ ls
src/
$ mkdir linux; cd linux
$ CFLAGS="-g -O0" ../src/configure --prefix=/home/keiths/sourceware/insight/HEAD/built
$ make all install-gdb

Then I simply add /home/keiths/sourceware/insight/HEAD/built/bin to my path.

Did I provide enough information?

Yes. A good start. We'll go from here.