Insight cross-debugging fails... ?

Hi all;

I'm trying to use Insight as a cross-debugger.  My host is an x86 (AMD64
actually) and my target is a PowerPC.  I've built Insight as a PPC
cross-debugger, with ./configure --target=powerpc-linux, and I've built
gdbserver as a native PPC application.

I can start the gdbserver on the target, then invoke the
powerpc-linux-gnu-gdb that was built and installed by my Insight build
(I'm using the latest Insight 6.5).  I can successfully debug my
application remotely this way.

However, if I try to debug using powerpc-linux-gnu-insight instead of
gdb, it fails with a SIGILL.  I start insight and I get a warning "Make
breakpoint depending on future shared library load?"  I don't understand
this but I say "Ok" (I've tried saying "no" and it fails the same way).

I then get an Insight window.  I choose File -> Target Settings... and
choose Remote/TCP as the target type.  I enter my target IP address and
port (I left it as 1000).

I click the run button and I get an error dialog: "Program received
SIGILL: Illegal instruction".  If I click OK, the target program just
fails.

This has to be something odd that the insight code is doing, because
both vanilla GDB 6.5 and the command line gdb generated by the Insight
build work fine.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Should this work?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@netezza.com>                       http://netezza.com
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist
      These are my opinions--Netezza takes no responsibility for them.