Re: Questioning the withdom of bundling gdb and insight

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

What is the rationale behind bundling the entire gdb (which, in turn, bundled libiberty, bfd), the itcl and itk, etc. into one giant tarball?

Because at one time, we maintained a large number of fixes to tcl, tk, and itcl. Gdb is included because insight is very tightly coupled to a particular version of gdb. [Although not so much as of late since no one is actively developing insight.]

Why can't these independent trees remain independent? You can even offer them all on your download site(s), but someone, who already has itk installed and gdb downloaded need not download the entire 20Mb of insight-6.4.tar.bz2. All she needs is a 800Kb of gdbtk and libgui tarred together...

I did once ask list members if people wanted the snapshots to be a giant tarball of everything or just the insight bits. The majority wanted the giant tarball:

http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2004-q4/msg00116.html

Keith

PS. Patches welcome to build using external tcl, tk, itcl...