Re: how to link insight against 'external' TclTk frameworks on OSX

OpenMacNews wrote:
insight is on its last legs, as it were.

well THAT certainly caught my attention!

care to clarify for a noob ?  is it being replaced? just dying off?  are
all the developers quitting & opening scuba shops in the Dutch Antilles?

I'm just being blunt. There are no insight developers. I still do some things -- mostly bug fixes and snapshots.

The FSF considers Insight *not* to have been donated to them by Cygnus Solutions (acquired by Red Hat in 2000). So the copyrights on all the insight sources are held by Red Hat, who I cannot convince to spend ten minutes signing a letter indicating to the FSF that they consider the sources part of gdb (and consequently, "owned" by the FSF).

So whenever I get a non-trivial patch (like the syntax highlighting one several months ago), I must have the contributor sign a Red Hat assignment (same form that is used by Cygwin). It makes life much more challenging.

Nonetheless, I still try to use Insight for my work (when I'm not working on eclipse or other pure-java work). Unfortunately, gdb is really beginning to cause me problems. I've been unable to use it for weeks on libgcj hacking, and I haven't had the time to diagnose the (mostly thread-related) problems.

So it's not dead in the literal sense, but it is in a perpetual state of maintenance, which (to me) is the same thing.