RE: how to link insight against 'external' TclTk frameworks on OSX

On 14 March 2006 18:26, OpenMacNews wrote:

> hi dave,

>>> On http://sourceware.org/insight/faq.php it says:
>>>
>>> Right now, Insight MUST be built using the versions of Tcl, Tk, and
>>> Itcl that come with the sources. We're working to fix that, but it is
>>> going to take a lot of time. (Want to help?)
>>>
>>   That's a red herring,
>
> damn subversive fish!  ;-)

  If it wasn't for those damn subversive fish we'd all be squashed like
sardines by the powers-that-be!  Little known fact: Guy Fawkes was a fish.[*]

>> as far as I'm aware it's very out-of-date info and
>> 8.4.10 should work fine.
>>
>>   The real question is where Richard has TCL_LIBRARY and TK_LIBRARY pointed
>> at.  See faq Q2.4.
>
> well, i agree, therein lies the challenge wrt the 'framework' builds on OSX.
>
> currently, i've:
>
> setenv TCL_LIBRARY  "-F/Library/Frameworks -framework Tcl"
> setenv TK_LIBRARY   "-F/Library/Frameworks -framework Tk"
> setenv TCL_INCLUDES "-I/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers"
> setenv TK_INCLUDES  "-I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers"
>
> which have been working for most other situations, but fail --
> apparently in insight's case -- to point to the right (i.e., mine)
> tclConfig.sh etc etc

  It seems strange to me to have those flags and options in there, as far as I
know both the T*_LIBRARY defines should be plain unardorned directory paths.
I don't know for sure about the T*_INCLUDES defines.  T*_LIBRARY are the
necessary paths for the tcl/tk interpreters to find their files, and the flags
are almost certainly wrong, but the XXX_INCLUDES defines are just part of
configure trying to find the C header files for compiling code that
interoperates with tcl/tk; in this case, adding some flags might make sense,
much like defining CC='gcc -g -O2' does in other cases.  But I don't know for
sure.

  However before you run too much further down this thread wait for the other
reply I was about to post to the other thread!

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - Not true.