Re: -nx and .gdbtkinit

Andrew STUBBS wrote:

The GDB -nx option currently causes Insight to ignore the .gdbtkinit (or gdbtk.ini) file.

Correct.

This is a problem for me because I need to disable .gdbinit, but wish to continue using .gdbtkinit.

Eeew... Ummm... Hmmm...

Why is it done this way? I am told .inputrc is always read, no matter what.

Because insight is gdb. :-)

Would it be acceptable to totally remove this 'feature'? Or at least unhook it from -nx somehow?

Yeah, I think you should be able to do something for insight. The problem is adding new command-line options to gdb for insight will be problematic (to be polite), since gdb still greedily hoards all options processing. [I once started building a patch to separate this out...]

I had posted an alternative solution (-nx-except-gdbtkinit) to gdb-patches here http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2005-11/msg00233.html, but that suggestion has not been met with much approval.

Any other suggestions?

There are three options that come to me immediately. First is what you've proposed (new startup option to gdb), which probably isn't going to get accepted.

Next is a new environment variable (GDBTK_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES or something or other). Add a check to prefs_read in prefs.tcl.

Finally, just disable the check for ignoring preferences in the same procedure (prefs_read in prefs.tcl).

I wish I could be more helpful. Sorry.