Re: Current Status of Insight

> From: Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx>
>>>
>>> Well, something similar could be implemented in Java with BeanShell
>>> (http://www.beanshell.org/). jEdit uses this.
>>
>> It seems a lot simpler to simply encourage Insight/GDB as it present stands,
>> to be officially (or even semi-officially) considered as part of the GDB
>> release, and maintained as interest allows along side if it; and remain
>> complemented with the separately maintained TK/TCL library etc. as may be
>> necessary in parallel; similar to the way it is now, but without the sigma
>> of "it's dead" lying over it's head.
>
> The project is only "dead" because no one is actively caring for it.
> Making it part of gdb does not mean that someone will magically appear
> to keep it alive.  You still need people to do that.
>
> We CAN fix this.  All that we need are volunteers to keep insight
> healthy.  While it would be nice to have insight officially part of gdb,
> it has managed to survive fairly well for a long time in its present
> state.
>
> This is FREE SOFTWARE we're talking about.  There is no reason for anything
> to die when the source code is available as long as people are actively
> interested in maintaining it.

Thanks for the clarification, I was mistakenly under the impression that
it was potentially more politically complicated than that for some reason
(possibly as it seemed somewhat unsympathetically needlessly divorced from
GDB's development I guess, but good to know otherwise; and will help as I
can, although likely very limitedly, as I'm very unfamiliar with Tk/Tcl,
which seems fairly critical.)