Re: remote target debug problem running

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 16:02 -0400, Nathaniel Mercure wrote:

> .../gdb/insight --command=~/bin/mips-gdb.ini
>     cat ~/bin/mips-gdb.ini
>         set remoteti 10
>         set heur 0
>         set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed
>         set remote memory-write-packet-size 4200
>         set download-write-size 3584
>
>         target remote localhost:2345
>         load eCos.elf
>
> The problem here is that I CAN'T browses any source file.

That's because you've only downloaded the code to your target board. You
haven't given GDB/Insight an executable to work on. I presume that
"eCos.elf" was generated by a compiler. I suggest you change your
startup script to do:

file eCos.elf
target remote localhost:2345
load

instead of the last two lines you have. The "file" command is the
equivalent of Insight's "open": it causes GDB to read in debugging
information for your executable.

> When I use open/run to select the elf file and run it.  The board connects
> to the
> remote server but doesn't download the code and gives the following message.
>
>     "You cannot do that without a process to debug"
>
> In this case I CAN browses the source code ?!

That's because the "open" command does the equivalent of GDB's "file"
command (the step you were missing before).

It prints the error for one of two reasons: you haven't selected a
target to debug (File->Target Settings..." or it isn't setting the
target based on the last run (which is a bug).