Re: Insight + ARM-9 + BDI2000: Hang on exec

I think you're running into multiple problems...

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 01:12, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Yes, it runs under gdb (I thought I said that). Well, actually, the code
> crashes after a while, but I can at least set some breakpoints, have it
> stop there, step the code etc.

Ok, that's a first good step.

> One problem, though: I sometimes get
> <host>:2001: Connection refused.
> for no apparent reason, when issuing a "target" command. If I try the
> same operation again, it usually works fine.

My guess would be that since you're reusing the same port on the target,
you're hitting the 2MSL wait state.

> Also, even insight was OK for a while, then something (related to the
> application - insight hasn't changed) happened that made it stop working
> - and I can't figure out what it is ;-/

:-(

> I got it to hang simply by starting the code (which is why I didn't
> think it necessary to give any steps), i.e.
>
>    1. arm-coff-insight <application>
>    2. Run->Download
>    3. Run->Run

[Note: You can just use the Run button to start your application. The
Target Settings dialog defines the default behavior of the run button
for various targets. For Remote targets, it connects to the target,
downloads and continues execution.]

So, when you do this, the UI just "hangs"? Control buttons disabled
(grayed-out)? If so, open a console window and type "tk
gdb_target_has_execution". What's the return value? Also try "tk set
::gdb_running".

> After I wrote the original message, I discovered that there are other
> ways, like
>
>    1. arm-coff-insight <application>
>    2. Run->Download
>    3. File->Exit
>
> (But Exit does work if I do File->Disconnect first.)

This is reminiscent of a long-standing gdb bug. But I could be wrong.
The only way to know for sure is to step through the code and find out
why it is hanging. Having the console window open might help, too.

> Furthermore,
>
>    1. arm-coff-insight <application>
>    2. Run->Download
>    3. Control->Next Asm Inst (since execution start with start() written
>       in assembler.
>    4. Other "step" commands...
>
> Actually works, but if I try e.g. View->Registers, I get another hang,
> but of a slightly different type; this time I get a "stop" icon and
> "busy" cursor, but I'm not really allowed to stop the process.

I think that there is something wrong with register display in that
version. Gdb has changed a whole lot since I last did any active work on
Insight -- which means that no one else has active worked on it. As I
recall, there have been numerous changes to register and memory
handling, but let's deal with one issue at a time.