Re: Insight + ARM-9 + BDI2000: Hang on exec

Keith Seitz wrote:

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 05:55, Toralf Lund wrote:

I'm using insight built for ARM along with the BDI2000 (BDIGDB) debug "POD" to debug a custom interface card based on the MC9328 (ARM-9 core) processor.

First things first: does it run under console gdb? ("insight -nw" or
"gdb")?

Yes, it runs under gdb (I thought I said that). Well, actually, the code crashes after a while, but I can at least set some breakpoints, have it stop there, step the code etc.

One problem, though: I sometimes get

<host>:2001: Connection refused.

for no apparent reason, when issuing a "target" command. If I try the same operation again, it usually works fine.

Also, even insight was OK for a while, then something (related to the application - insight hasn't changed) happened that made it stop working - and I can't figure out what it is ;-/

There are numerous reasons for failures of this kind. Typically, it is
an error in the target code in gdb. Testing command-line gdb is the
first step to ascertaining where the problem lies.

Also, could you send a more complete, step-by-step description of what
you did? From your post, I'm not entirely sure how you got it to hang.

I got it to hang simply by starting the code (which is why I didn't think it necessary to give any steps), i.e.

  1. arm-coff-insight <application>
  2. Run->Download
  3. Run->Run

After I wrote the original message, I discovered that there are other ways, like

  1. arm-coff-insight <application>
  2. Run->Download
  3. File->Exit

(But Exit does work if I do File->Disconnect first.)

Furthermore,

  1. arm-coff-insight <application>
  2. Run->Download
  3. Control->Next Asm Inst (since execution start with start() written
     in assembler.
  4. Other "step" commands...

Actually works, but if I try e.g. View->Registers, I get another hang, but of a slightly different type; this time I get a "stop" icon and "busy" cursor, but I'm not really allowed to stop the process.