building Tk from the src tree

I'm trying to build Tcl/Tk from the src tree on a Cygwin system that
has no previous installation of Tcl/Tk.  I'm striking a problem
whereby tk/win/configure invokes SC_PROG_TCLSH to find a tclsh shell
for building purposes -- it searches the user's $PATH and the build
tree for tclsh, but the tcl build directory will have only been
configured, not built.  How is this meant to work?

Is it the case that configure-tk should depend on all-tcl at the
top-level?

Thanks,
Ben