Re: General question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Seitz" <keiths@redhat.com>
To: <insight@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: General question

> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 16:53, Rod Boyce wrote:
> > Bdm/wiggler is not a supported configuration by gdb (a
> > proprietary DLL in gdb violates the GPL).
>
> Ok, to clarify: whether or not using a proprietary DLL with gdb is
> violation of the GPL. Some say yes, some say no. In the end, device
> support is not an Insight issue: it's a gdb issue, and gdb folk have
> apparently decided that although this appears not to violate the letter
> of the GPL, it appears to violate the intent of the GPL. Consequently,
> ser-ocd.c and most on-chip support was dropped from gdb.
>
> See, for example,
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-05/msg00092.html.
>
> There are many such thread in the gdb mailing list. I suggest you search
> or query the gdb mailing list for the most up-to-date stance on this
> issue.
>
> Keith

The issue of the DLL was hashed out a few years ago.   I show an email
from Dec. 2000 discussing the issue.   The resolution was that all
code that interfaced to the Macraigor DLL would be removed.   We
did not have a problem with this.   Macraigor moved to using
a LibRemote daemon.   Any left over code such as ser-ocd.c is
not used by Macraigor any more.

The issue of the DLL has been long since resolved.   I thought
that all parties to the issue were happy with the outcome.
Is there some remaining issue to be resolved?

Pete.
Macraigor Systems LLC.