Re: General question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Seitz" <keiths@redhat.com>
To: "Hylla, Kai" <hylla.k@atlas.de>
Cc: <insight@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: General question

> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 02:37, Hylla, Kai wrote:
> > Has anyone experiences using insight under win2k with bdm/wiggler
> > support and give me some advise?
>
> Well, I haven't touched a remote board in years. I've been moved out of
> the part of the company that deals with that sort of thing. As a result,
> I haven't any recent experience with any remote boards.
>
> Unfortunately, I will not be able to help you too much with your
> problem, either. Bdm/wiggler is not a supported configuration by gdb (a
> proprietary DLL in gdb violates the GPL).

The issue of a proprietary  DLL has long been fixed.   There is no
proprietary DLL necessary to compile GDB.   The communication
to Macraigor devices is handled through LibRemote, a daemon, which
includes no GPL'ed code.

> To top it all off, ocdemon.com
> is distributing a very old version of Insight (5.0). Although
> development on Insight has been slow to non-existant for the last two
> years, current versions are sufficiently different from 5.0 that I could
> not reliably give advice on how to proceed.

New releases are using the latest versions of all the tools.   However,
in some cases we have to use old versions because we have found
problems with newer versions of some of the tools.   I am struggling
with GDB for MIPS64 now.   The 64 bit symbols are not handled properly.

> I recommend that you double-check your installation, setup, etc, with
> the FAQs and documentation at ocdemon.com. If that fails to get you
> anywhere, you should contact ocdemon.com for support, since this is
> where you got it.
>
> I believe that there are people on the mailing list who use PPC and
> perhaps even wiggler/bdm, so maybe one of those people will chime in.
>
> Good luck,
> Keith

Pete,
Macraigor Systems LLC