Re: hi, again this is Vadiraj(help on insight)

[back onto list]

Sorry for the delay...

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 23:39, vadraj kulkarni wrote:
> Hello Mr.Keith,
>
> thank you very much for the response. I have tried all the methods you had mentioned in one of the mailing list. But that didn't help me.  My answers to the questions are as follows.
> --

This is suspicious. That means that gdb is having problems communicating
with the target. I see that you're using attempting to use a serial
port. I don't know if "/dev/ttyS0" is supported on cygwin (it might be)
but it's not necessary: you can use com1, com2, etc.

I'll also note: you haven't specified a baudrate to communicate to the
board. I'm sure that gdb's default is not what you want. To inspect the
current baudrate, enter "show remotebaud". I'm sure it will be
non-sensical. To change it, use the "set remotebaud" command, i.e., "set
remotebaud 9600".

Does this help? (Again, use command line gdb to test this. arm-elf-gdb
-nw) Please send a session next time -- see
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2003-q2/msg00181.html for an
example of how best to describe bugs.

> >>  nfact i have tried all the steps you have mentioned in sources.redhat.com/cygwin.htm
> >
> >These instructions are only for 5.3. You should not need them, for
> >example, on CVS head. This is mentioned at the top of that page. Given
> >that the GDB 6.0 branch was just cut, I am now urging people to use CVS
> >head. We need to work out any last minute problems before 6.0 goes out.
> >

> Vadiraj:- In website, if i am not wrong, it has been mentioned as "5.2-5.3". Anyway that is not issue.
>
> >> In that case i will get itcl package mis-match error(have 3.0 need 3.2) after running ./arm-elf-gdb
> >
> >If you're running 5.2, you should be using itcl3.0... Itcl3.2 is current
> >cvs. Please explain what you have done to your sources up to this point:
> >where you got sources, what patches (if any) you've applied to them,
> >etc.
> >
> >On XP, there should be no problems compiling CVS head. (Ok, there is one
> >small problem, but it is easy enough to workaround until I get a patch
> >in.)
> >
> Vadiraj:- I can try 6.0. I am using 5.2.1 because, i tried 5.0,5.1.1as well as 5.3. In all the cases compilation goes well. But if i run ./arm_elf_gdb, it gives error message saying "unable to find valid main.tcl" and gives some path name. But there will a main.tcl in that path. So i moved to 5.2.1
>
> Vadiraj: I have one more request. Can you tell me the version number of all the tool-chains u r working on(including OS)?. Exactly i want to reproduce first. Then i can figure out the problem in the remaining.

I've used the latest versions from cygwin.com (as of last week or so):
cygwin-1.3.22-1
autoconf-2.54-1
autoconf-devel-2.57-1
binutils-20030307-1