Re: TK/X problem

Keith Seitz wrote:
On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 15:28, John Williams wrote:

Sorry I should have added, the problem is that these drop down boxes basically aren't being drawn. Actually, I can see the image "beneath" them flicker very quickly, like it's being drawn then immediately removed, without any chance of actually moving the mouse over to make a selection.

The code you need to analyze is in libgui. See src/libgui/comobox.tcl.

Hmm this is interesting. The following script demonstrates the problem:

source combobox.tcl
namespace import combobox::combobox
combobox .foo
pack .foo
.foo list insert end string1
.foo list insert end string2
.foo list insert end string3

Under Cygwin, this works properly, however under my Linux / Xwindows combination, the items in the combo list are drawn *beneath* the containing canvas. If I resize the default wish canvas, and create an entry with a very long name such as

.foo list insert end thisisaverylongstring

then I can see this text peeking around the side of the pane when I drop the box down (click the down triangle).

If anybody with a RedHat 8.0 box has a few seconds to spare would you mind testing this out? Linux is non-standard here at my workplace, I'm the only one around :(

I will also try to track down the author of the combobox widget.

If you have the source for your altered Insight, you might try merging
in 5.1 and see if that fixes it. [Or, if you're really daring, try a
merging a snapshot.]

erk - hopefully I'll just get away with patching comobobox.tcl, or even better, adjusting my X server/client settings.. Do you recall hearing of this problem previously?

Thanks,

John