Re: Nokia 7650

Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Paul Cole wrote:
>
> > Can I use your insight GDB to debug applications on my Nokia 7650 device?
>
> Does GDB support it? If so, Insight should work with it, too.

 I received the Nokia "Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS, Version 0.9"
yesterday so I haven't gathered much experience with it. But a quick
look at it after installing showed the GCC being '2.9-psion-98r2'
and the GDB/Insight being version '4.17-psion-98r2', so the Cygnus
'GNUPro 98r2' release seems to be in the bottom... Four years old
stuff perhaps, but released in July 2002 or something. And only for
Windows/Cygwin host of course :(

 A stamp "Compatible with Nokia 7650" was on the CD-package...

 Maybe Paul wanted to know whether other hosts like Linux could be
used and whether newer versions of GCC and Insight could be used.

 The first thing one sees is that the GNU sources are not included
although there would have been space for them on the CDROM, the
binaries etc. taking only 123 Mbytes now. Finding out how the patched
sources can be got from Symbian/Nokia seems to be the first job.

 The 'show version' gives:

----------------------- clip -------------------------------------
GNU gdb 4.17-psion-98r2
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This version of GDB has been modified by Symbian Ltd. to add EPOC
support.
Type "show epoc-version" to see the EPOC-specific version number.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin32 --target=arm-epoc-
pe".
----------------------- clip -------------------------------------

and the 'help target' gives:

----------------------- clip -------------------------------------
List of target subcommands:

target epoc -- Use a remote epoc device via a serial line
target epocinternal -- Target used internally by the "epoc" target
target exec -- Use an executable file as a target
target extended-remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
target rdi -- Use a remote ARM-based computer; via the RDI library
target rdp -- Use a remote ARM system which uses the ARM Remote
Debugging Protocol
target remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
target sim -- Use the compiled-in simulator

 So the "has been modified by Symbian Ltd. to add EPOC support"
has a meaning and these modifications should be found for inclusion
into the newer sources...

 BTW, there is a 'gdbstub.exe' which seems to be related to the
'epocinternal' target, ie. there being a real ARM/EPOC 'emulator'
or 'simulator' now, not only a emulator which takes programs
compiled with MSVC++ for the i386-pe host...

Cheers, Kai