Re: Port to GTK+ and GNOME

Hi Fernando,

I've looked at this problem a couple of times in the past.

tcl-gtk is an interesting project, I wrote a small test program to
see if it was worth using that for Source Navigator, but I felt that
I was loosing much of the benefits of tcl/tk and what should have
been a short program ended up being kind of long.  I've not used
tcl-gtk for a few years, so this might not still be an issue.
However, I feel the work involved in this would be similar to
writing the application.

The solution I was really interested in trying to implement was to
add some sort of generic themeability to Tk, such that it would be
able understand GTK or Qt themes.  I actually got some parts working
and there where a couple of screen shots of SN running the AquaX
theme.  BLT has gone part of the way to providing some of functionality
needed, in particular the tiled widgets that allow bitmap backgrounds
on buttons, listboxes and other things.  Using BLT a writing a bitmap scaling
fuction so you can use scaled bitmap buttons should get you most of
the way there.  Of course not all themes are bitmaps so you might
want to use a theme engine to convert them to bitmaps as needed.

I noticed a couple of ambiguities between the GTK and TK, but they where
minor things, like some widgets not having a boarder or not have a
disabled state.  I don't believe there is anything that would give too
much of a problem.

Ian.