Re: Insight5.1 with target dbug

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Andy Lewis wrote:

> I am trying to use Insight5.1 with an uptodate copy of cygwin to debug on Motorola's M5272C3 Coldfire evaluation board using their dBUG monitor.
>
> I have built Insight with target=m68k-elf.
>
> File->Target Settings does not offer dbug, so I have selected Remote/Serial (+ set baud and com port) , then used the "Console Window" to select "target dbug /dev/com2".
>
> At this point I can display memory and registers from the view menu.
>
> When I try to RUN or Download I get an error message "Downloading my_file

You've hit a disconnect between the gui and the command line. The best
thing to do is to add the "dbug" target to the target "database" in
gdb/gdbtk/library/targetsel.itb.

> If I repeat the  "target dbug /dev/com2" in the console window the select Run->Download again it works - but ends with a "Timeout reading from remote system".
> .data is shown as :0x00028090 .. 0x00028090 ie zero length (this is correct) but maybe that is confusing things ?.
>
> At this point if I adjust PC SP etc I can step through my code.
>
> Are there fixes for any of these problems or do I need to do something  else in my config.

One thing you can do is use the console window to get your target running
("target dbug /dev/com2" _and_ "load") and then use insight's
step/next/stepi/nexti, etc buttons. The run button is special. In order to
use it, you must also have a target that it knows about. (So we're back to
adding your target to targetselection.itb. Someone just did this for a
vxworks target. It is very easy to do. Care to submit a patch?)