Re: How to build Insight on Windows 9x

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Frank Wagner wrote:

[One of these days, I will write this into the FAQ...]

> can somebody help me to build the insight GUI on a windows machine or
> is there a description somewere on the internet?
> I also will be happy to know whether it is possible to download the
> binaries of Insight for Windows?

We do not typically distribute binaries for anything, altough with
sufficient bribing, I've been known to send binaries to people. (:-)

In order to build Insight on windows, you must have a working cygwin
environment. If you haven't any idea what cygwin is, go to
http://www.cygwin.com and install cygwin. [I presume that you use cygwin
already, since this is all gdb/Insight can be used for on Windows.]

Once you know that compiling and running "hello, world" type program
works, you're ready to tackle building insight. (Note that right now you
should use the 5.1 branch sourcs. CVS sources are still having big
problems on windows.)

So let's assume that your sources for Insight are in the directory
/home/me/insight/src. Here's how I build:

$ pwd
/home/me/insight
$ mkdir cygwin; cd $_
$ ../src/configure --prefix=/usr/redhat \
  --exec-prefix=/usr/redhat/H-i686-pc-cygwin
[--exec-prefix is optional, but I always use it out of habit]

When configure is done, you simple type "make" and "make install". When
those are done, /usr/redhat will have all the stuff in it necessary to run
insight. The actual executable is
/usr/redhat/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/gdb.exe.